Monday, December 5, 2011

So I Saw the Muppets

(The Toy Story short in the beginning of this is worth it just for the puns alone like Tae Kwon Doe, a fighting female deer)

This will be even less of a review than my other "sort of reviews."



Weirdly enough, the first time I remember seeing The Muppets they weren't in their original puppet forms. Instead, I grew up loving the "Muppet Babies" cartoon of all things. Eventually though I learned to love Kermit and company in their original felt forms.

I think part of the appeal of The Muppets, and puppets in general, is that they are like cartoons that actually exist. Kermit is a talking frog who can light a real match. That's that crazy Jim Henson, hippie social change stuff right there.



But what sets this movie apart for ordinary puppet fare is just how legitimately funny it is for all kinds of people. It's like Pixar in the way it mixes genuine heart with genuine comedy and smart pop culture references. It's kind of hard to describe how it all works, or really trying to put that much thought into it would ruin something this innately good. It just works, it always has, and that trend of just working continues in this latest movie.
These remain the greatest Muppets

I've seen some people complain about the Walter and Jason Segel storyline but even as a non-fan of Segel and his works (HIMYM, Forgetting Sarah Marshall, I Love You Man) and his Dave Coulier face I think the whole emotional arc of their story works really well for the reintroduction this movie seeks to be. Plus all of their songs are really sweet and funny despite not holding a candle to "The Rainbow Connection" or even Fozzie Bear's fake Reno version.

No one really needs a review of this movie though or at least not from me. It's really good. It's legitimately funny. Both James Carville and Zach Galifianakis are in it. That's all you need to know. Just see it already. It needs to make more money than Breaking Dawn to justify the existence of people (although that's the only one I plan on seeing due to it's sheer weirdness).

Check this out too.

No comments:

Post a Comment