Saturday, July 2, 2011

Themes That Go With Things

I’m not sure how to feel that so far my most popular article has been a short-essay on a dumb internet joke. But give the people what they want. This time I'm talking about themes that go with certain situations. For example, Guile’s theme from Street Fighter II, well, it goes with everything. Just look.



"Go home and be a family man"- Guile








And for a time that was all we needed. A theme that went with everything. But as the internet evolved, and it does so rapidly, new uses were discovered for new themes.

As for one of my favorite…things M.O.D.O.K., it turns out his theme from Marvel vs. Capcom 3 is perfect for trolling (being a jerk on the internet or elsewhere for the sake of being an ironic humorous jerk. Again, too massive a concept to cover here)




"If you think I've evolved beyond the joys of trolling, you'd be wrong"- M.O.D.O.K.




But the most recent discovery, made by one of my favorite video game website Giant Bomb, is that “Power” by Kanye West works seamlessly with darn near every video game trailer out there. Just look.



Only one of these trailers was real. Can you guess?



By the way that last Kirby game is an example of the weird Kirby games I'd like to see more of and mentioned in this article.

It was this revelation that inspired me to write this. (mostly because I was listening to a lot of that amazing album and was thinking about writing a piece about hip-hop and how its performers and labels are paradoxically both individualistic and collaborative, egotistical and doubtful and just straight-up weird like that Odd Future stuff, wow that was long) But then I realized I can talk about memes way better than I can talk about music.

And that was only a taste of some of the amazing combinations of situation and song created by the internet community great and terrible.

You guys have any sort of reaction to this? Post a comment below. I’ll get it started

No one story should have all that cool, bro




swag

1 comment:

  1. Kirbys living in that 21st century, doing something mean to it.

    I get wut ur saying about individualism and collaboration, seems like every album has a song where they be shittin on everyone, and at the same time worked with 10 other artists on that album.

    Im guessing its an image thing.

    ReplyDelete